More information about the walk:
- The walk is 7 to 8 miles long, depending on the route. The walk usually starts from the stony foreshore at Arnside, proceeds onto the sands and across the channels of the River Kent.
- The height of the river is usually between knee and thigh deep. Old, comfortable shoes or trainers are recommended rather than expensive walking boots or wellies, and shorts or trousers that you can roll up. You may want to bring a towel.
- There are dangerous quicksands in the bay. To ensure your safety, stay with your group and follow instructions from the Guide and his helpers at all times. Never attempt to cross the bay without a respected local guide.
- The walk starts at The Promenade, Arnside and finishes at Kents Bank Train Station (please note this may change due to weather conditions)
- The weather can be anything from driving rain to hot sun, so come prepared to protect yourself against the elements. It is very exposed out on the bay with no shelter, so bring sunscreen and a sunhat or waterproofs, depending on conditions.
- Don't forget to bring a bottle of water and a snack.
- The last part of the walk involves crossing gullies on the saltmarsh. These can be quite wide and slippery, so walkers need to be agile enough to get across.
- The walk usually ends in Kents Bank, a mile and a half from Grange-over-Sands.
- Commemorative certificates can be purchased from the Guide at the end of the walk for £1.
- You may park at Kent's Bank and get the train to the start at Arnside or park at Arnside and return by train from Grange-Over-Sands. To check local train times visit www.nationalrail.co.uk or ring National Rail Enquiries on 08457 484950.
- It is recommended that the walk is not suitable for children under 9 years of age.