Role: Reception Volunteer
Location: East Lancashire Hospice
Accountable to: Receptionist
(This person will be your main point of contact whilst volunteering. They will provide you with the support and supervision necessary for you to perform your role)
Role requirements: Minimum age 18 years
Two satisfactory references
Under supervision and direction of professional staff, to assist the hospice administration team to provide a reception service. This is an extremely busy role which requires multi-tasking skills.
When we need you to be available:
The expected commitment for this role is 3 hours a week, day and time to be agreed.
Reception opening hours are between 8am and 5pm.
We currently have the following available slots:
- Wed 8am – 11am
- Wed 9.30am – 12.30pm
- Thursday 2pm – 5pm
- Friday 11am – 2pm
- Friday 2pm – 5pm
What we would like you to do:
- To ensure all volunteers comply with current policies and procedures applicable to the role
- To undertake training and development applicable to the role
- To project a friendly approach to patients, staff, volunteers and visitors at all times
- To respect all information concerning volunteers, employees and patients as strictly confidential at all times
- To ensure that all Health and Safety Rules are adhered to at all times.
- To greet all visitors promptly, courteously, efficiently and in a polite, helpful manner
- Ensure that on entering and leaving the hospice all visitors sign in and out
- To direct or escort all visitors to their relevant department
- Be conversant with the telephone system and transfer calls to appropriate extensions
- To not leave the reception area unattended at any time
- To keep the reception area clean and tidy
- To take payments for hospice merchandise and put payments through the electronic till
- To assist with the post, sorting it out into relevant departments
- To assist with general administration duties such as shredding and photocopying
- To ensure that Patient Medical Notes received from Royal Blackburn Medical Records are recorded on the tracking form, stored appropriately and that the Clinical Administration Team are informed
- To direct undertakers who are delivering flowers to the hospice to the side door situated near the kitchen area
- To unlock main reception doors and transfer phones back to reception if on 8am shift
- To ensure that the telephones are transferred through to the Inpatient Unit at 5pm and that the main doors to reception are locked ensuring that the keys are returned to the Inpatient Unit and placed in the key cupboard
Skills, knowledge, abilities and qualities:
- Experience of good telephone skills and manner
- Ability to multi-task
- Good verbal communication skills
- Good organisational skills
- To interact as part of a team
- Smart presentable appearance
Review of this description:
This role description is intended as an outline of general areas of activities and will be amended in the light of changing needs of the hospice. It is expected that the volunteer will be positive and flexible as possible using this document as a framework.
If you would like to apply, please download, complete and return an Application Form here. Alternatively should you wish to speak to someone for more information, please call General Administration on (01254) 287034.