Location: East Lancashire Hospice
Accountable to: Maintenance Coordinator
(They will be your main point of contact while
volunteering. They will provide you with the support
and supervision necessary for you to perform your role)
Role requirements: Two Satisfactory references
Enhanced DBS check (an enhanced DBS check will only be required for those roles which involve regular, unsupervised contact with patients)
Under supervision and direction of Maintenance staff, to participate in the annual programmed and ad hoc grounds and garden maintenance work within the hospice surroundings.
When we need you to be available:
Below are the time slots that we need volunteers to carry out this role. You can volunteer for one or more than one-time slot. You will be asked to detail your availability on your application form.
Monday - AM/PM
Tuesday - AM/PM
Wednesday - AM/PM
Thursday - AM/PM
Friday - AM/PM
Skills, knowledge, abilities and qualities:
- Experience of general gardening and maintenance
- Good communication skills
- To interact as part of a team
What we would like you to do:
- General gardening task including:
- Prune and caring for shrubs and plants as necessary
- Clean and maintain the water features within the garden area
- Weeding flower beds and mowing of lawns
- Planting and maintaining vegetable plots
- Helping to maintain the garden tools, garden buildings, including sheds
- Moving garden furniture and equipment when required
- Helping with the care and treatment of garden furniture and wood fencing
- Sweeping of paths
- Preparation of hanging baskets and pots for the summer season
- Watering of plants etc
- Undertake training and development applicable to the role.
- Be friendly, respectful and courteous to patients, visitors, staff, customers and other volunteers at all times
- To ensure the information you have access to as part of your role is kept secure and confidential.
- Work at all times to safeguard the rights of individuals promoting their wellbeing and protecting those at risk from harm by advising staff of any concerns.
- Act in a way that upholds the hospice’s values which are:
- Patients are individuals and have a right to respect, privacy, dignity and choice
- Staff and volunteers are vital to the hospice’s success, and it is their contribution which provides the hospice with its quality service and reputation
- Our services should be focused on meeting our patients’ requirements
- Value for money is achieved making the most effective use of available resources
- Ensure that personal actions and conduct apply with hospice policies and procedures
- Ensure effective use of hospice resources
Review of this description:
This role description is intended as an outline of general areas of activities and will be amended in the light of changing needs of the hospice.
If you would like to apply, please download, complete and return an Application Form here. Alternatively should you wish to speak to someone for more information, please call the Recruitment Team on 01254 965833